Sunday, May 5, 2013

New job

I started a new job this week.  I do this pretty frequently, about once every two or three years, sometimes less.  So I am no stranger to being the new guy in the office.  This particular company has a very interesting onboarding experience.  It is a week long scavenger hunt with about 80 items to find or do.  It included things like sit in on a sales call, challenge someone to a game ping pong and go have dinner (reimbursed) at the restaurant where the company celebrated their opening.  I have to admit that while it was awkward for me to be so "out there" in my first week at a job, it was certainly an eye opening experience.  I learned more about the company in one week than I did about my last company in the three years that I worked there.  The most interesting thing to me is that at the end of the scavenger hunt, the company offers you a chance to gracefully back out if you decided that you didn't like what you learned in that first week.  They will pay you $2000 to leave if you decide it isn't a good fit.  Crazy but a great way to get rid of people who don't like the culture but do need the money.  Well, i'm glad it's over, but I'm glad I did it.  Now time to start the real work.

No comments:

Post a Comment